Thursday, September 17, 2009

Aligning Curricula

Is it just me, or is this something that all states should be doing? Shouldn't high school prepare you for college? Especially this day in age, where college is really necessary for many professions. I'm glad that Texas is finally tackling this issue, but I am not sure if aligning the curricula of their high schools and colleges is the best way to lower their remediation rate.It might address the low college-going rates, but I wonder if there are other factors behind the low college-going rates in Texas.

I think that aligning the curricula may increase the retention rate of Texas high school students in college, but I am not sure how it would increase remediation or college-going rates. I believe that there may be other factors that could be attributed to the high remediation rate in Texas. For instance, teacher quality is not mentioned in this article, but may have a big effect on remediation rates. Furthermore, low college-going rates could be attributed to students not applying to colleges, or to inadequate school counselors.

While curriculum alignment is definitely a step in the right direction, I hope that Texas continues to evaluate their education system. I also hope that other states take the same steps in aligning their high school curriculum to college preparedness.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment